What else is there to do...
When you expected to be a mom, and instead you're a miscarriage survivor struggling with infertility? 

Friday, February 11, 2011

What I hate about this

Whenever I was doing a medicated cycle with trigger shot and timed intercourse, I would go into the fertility clinic, have the doctor wand me, find out my eggs were ready, and then go into the nurse's office.  She would give me my trigger shot, my instruction sheet, and my progesterone draw order, then say, "Now go home and get pregnant, we can't do any more for you this cycle.  You guys have to do the rest on your own."  I know she didn't mean to be rude.  I know she must do the same thing all day every day and she just needs some casual comment to say to everyone because the whole thing is awkward.  But still.

I GET IT.  We suck at reproducing.  We can't just have sex in the privacy of our own bed and magically end up with a baby like the majority of people on earth.  I have to have a doctor stick tools in my private parts.  I have to get injected with medications.  I have to increase hormones that already drive normal people crazy.  We have to have an instruction sheet to tell us what to do, even though we have been doing this for 2 years and we already know what to do.  Believe me, every day, every single day, I get it.  We suck at making babies.  We obviously can't do the rest on our own.  Maybe we can't do it at all.  I get it.

So now we have moved up a level.  After I get the trigger shot, we don't have to do the rest on our own.  In fact, when we want to have sex, we aren't even allowed to do it.  Instead we get to wake up at 5:30 on a Saturday morning and drive an hour to the fertility clinic.  I get to wait in the car (because there is no waiting room) while my husband goes into a room and masturbates into a cup.  We get to go sit at McDonald's staring at each other for an hour and a half while some lab techs try to improve his sperm.  Then I get to lay on a table, have a tube inserted into my uterus, and have the few remaining sperm squirted into my uterus.  Then I get to lie on the table for 10 minutes, cramping, thinking that this is never going to work because there weren't enough sperm, thinking that we'll be back here next month doing the exact same thing, thinking that I know I'll never be able to stop putting us through this crap even if we never get a baby out of it.

So, there it is.  That's what I hate.  I hate that it is painfully obvious that we can't do this.  I hate that we have to invest so much time, so much emotional energy, and so much money and we don't even know if this will work.  I just hate it.

10 comments:

Hope said...

(((Hugs))) I'm sorry you have to go through all of this--it really sucks. :-(

Keya said...

I so know what you mean. Even washed sperm being inserted way up there doesn't seem to be doing the trick for us. Everyone gets to procreate "normally", and here we are, having our hubbies do it in a cup and have a nurse inseminate us. Its not fair :(

*Melissa* said...

I can SO relate :( That really stinks that there isn't a waiting room for you!
This may sound weird, but I always went in with my hubby lol. It's a little different in our scenario though. We feel conflicted about masturbation so at first I would "help" him out. We then switched to using a collection condom. WAY more fun and his swimmers are always excellent when we use that method!
Anyway, I am rooting for you guys!!

Lisa said...

That's the part that I think is the hardest; I never saw myself as a person with so much capicaty to feel hate and anger and now I feel those emotions all the time. I don't want to be this person and yet its always there

hailey said...

Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and we'll talk about it.

Thanks!

Hailey William
haileyxhailey@gmail.com

Katie said...

Hey, I am just checking in on you. How are you doing?

Heather said...

Hi i’m Heather! I have a question for you! Please email me :)
HeatherVonSJ[at]gmail[dot]com

TheHouse said...

I TOTALLY relate. I hate it, too. Every.Single.Part.

Donna said...

Thank you so much for the real life physical and emotional description of this stage at ART. You are normalizing the experience for many and educating those lucky enough not to be in that world. Wishing you all the best with this cycle.

Ali said...

I'm so sorry.